Getting fair compensation for a slip and fall accident can be somewhat difficult, but it’s not impossible. If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, follow these steps to increase your chances of obtaining the compensation you deserve.
- Gather Documentation
In order to recover damages in a slip and fall accident, you must prove that someone else’s carelessness caused the accident. The following documentation can help you prove that the accident occurred because of another person’s negligence:
- Incident Reports: It’s typically required for businesses to write incident reports when a person is injured on the property. This report may include important details about the accident, such as how it happened and which employees were involved.
- Photos: Clear photos of the accident scene can also strengthen your slip and fall accident claim. For example, if a spilled liquid caused your accident, you will definitely want to take a few photos of the condition as soon as possible. If you are physically unable to take photos, ask a bystander to do it for you.
- Surveillance Video: Remember to request surveillance footage of the accident as soon as possible. It can provide evidence of how long a hazardous condition existed before you got hurt.
- Witnesses: If there were other people around at the time of the slip and fall accident, don’t be afraid to ask for their names and contact information. They may be able to testify on your behalf in court.
- Medical Records & Bills: It’s important to obtain copies of your medical records and bills to show the extent of your injuries and how much money the treatments have cost.
- Hire an Attorney
It’s in your best interest to hire an experienced personal injury lawyer to help you file a slip and fall accident lawsuit. A skilled lawyer, like a personal injury lawyer Minneapolis MN can count on, can protect you from getting taken advantage of by insurance companies and improve your chances of getting fair compensation for your injuries.
- Give it Time
While it can be difficult at times, it’s important to be patient during your slip and fall accident lawsuit. If the process seems to be moving slower than you had hoped, give it time. If you try to settle your case too soon, you might not receive all the money that you truly deserve.
If you suffered injuries from a slip and fall accident, you should call a reputable personal injury lawyer today.
Thanks to our friends and contributors from Johnston Martineau PLLP for their insight into slip and fall and personal injury practice.