Auto Accident Lawyer
Cars can endure serious damage during accidents. The costs to repair them can easily cost thousands of dollars. An auto insurance policy might not be able to cover all of the damage. If your car was recently damaged in a collision, you might consider filing a property damage claim. Proving liability in a case like this can be tricky, so it’s in your best interest to hire a skilled property damage lawyer.
Proving Liability in a Property Damage Case
To prove that another person is at fault for the property damage to your car, the following four elements have to exist:
- Duty: The defendant owed you a duty of care.
- Breach: The defendant breached the duty of care by doing something careless.
- Causation: The defendant’s breach of duty directly caused damage to your property.
- Damages: Your property sustained damage because of what the defendant did.
Steps to Take in a Property Damage Case
If your car endured damage in a vehicle crash, what you do immediately after the event can affect your chances of getting compensation. Here are the steps you should take:
- Take Photos: As the old saying goes, a picture is worth 100 words. Take several photos of the accident scene, including skid marks on the road, traffic signals and other vehicles involved in the accident. Also, take a few photos of the damage to your car.
- Write Everything Down: Memories fade sooner than you think, so it’s important to write down your recollection of the accident as soon as possible. Include what happened before, during and after the accident.
- Obtain a Police Report: If the police came to the scene of the car accident, ask the for a copy of the report. This report could include important details about the accident, such as when it happened and who was involved.
Hiring a Property Damage Lawyer
If you want to file a property damage claim, you may be wondering if it’s necessary to hire a lawyer or not. While it’s possible to file a claim without any legal assistance, working with a lawyer can make the process simpler. A property damage lawyer has knowledge of the law and knows what type of evidence you need to make a strong case. He or she will also know how to negotiate with insurance companies and increases your chances of getting the settlement you deserve.
During your initial consultation with an auto accident lawyer Salt Lake City, UT trusts, he or she will ask you several questions about your case, such as how the car accident happened and how much damage your vehicle sustained. Be sure to give as many details as possible in your answer. If you have any evidence pertaining to your case, bring it with you to the meeting.
Many property damage lawyers don’t charge any upfront fees. They will take a certain percentage of your settlement. If you don’t win your case, you won’t owe your lawyer any money.
Thank you to our friends and contributors at Rasmussen & Miner for their insight into car accident damages.