Car accidents can come with many complications; receiving compensation being just one of those. It doesn’t have to be difficult, however, when you have the help of an attorney. If you were partially at fault for the accident, you might worry you can’t receive compensation. The following are some ways you may still be able to.
When it is determined how much fault you are responsible for, you may be able to be compensated for a portion of that. For example, perhaps your car was hit from behind on a dark night while you were out with friends. The person who hit you would generally be responsible, but if one of your taillights was out, the responding officer may decide you were partially at fault. There would typically be a percentage of fault assigned to each party. You might be 40% responsible, while the other party is 60% responsible. You could receive compensation for the 60% you weren’t responsible for.
If you were partially responsible for your accident, and it was while you were working, workers’ compensation may take care of your medical costs. Workers’ comp is coverage that doesn’t look at fault. Even if the accident was entirely your fault because you failed to yield after a stop sign, you could still get compensation for the accident.
If you are unable to receive the amount of compensation you feel you deserve after a car accident, it’s possible to seek assistance through your health insurance coverage. You should inform the provider that the bills coming through are the result of a car accident, just in case you receive a larger settlement than expected. Your health insurer may take a portion of your settlement to cover the costs they already paid.
If you don’t have personal health insurance, you may be eligible for Medicaid. This is a government-assisted insurance program for individuals at a certain income level. If you qualify, Medicaid works similarly to personal health insurance and can possibly cover the medical expenses not covered by the partial compensation you received, if you were awarded anything.
Getting Help from an Attorney
When you’re in a car accident, fault matters, but it doesn’t always mean you won’t have any financial help. If you feel you deserve compensation, or if you feel you need additional assistance, an attorney may be necessary. Contact a lawyer, like an auto accident lawyer in Trenton, NJ from Davis & Brusca, LLC, today to learn more about what you might be entitled to.