More than likely, legal matters and insurance issues will be the last thing on your mind immediately following a car accident. You will be far more consumed with your health and any immediate injuries you may have sustained. Once the dust has settled, you turn your attention to the legalities surrounding the car accident. You will have many questions regarding how to move forward with the insurance company and whether or not enlisting an attorney will be beneficial. Depending on the details surrounding the accident and whether you were in an accident with a large truck or another motor vehicle, the law can vary.
Receiving an Award
When a settlement is awarded to the victim, there are a few differences when it comes to motor vehicle and semi truck accidents.
- Commercial Trucks ultimately will cause more damage if in an accident due to size alone. As a result, trucking companies carry much more insurance than the average driver on the road.
- This is true even if a trucker has their own personal policy because their employer will carry the larger policy.
- When it comes to a motor vehicle, there is a minimum amount of insurance that you are required to carry.
It can be complicated to sort out who will be responsible for paying damages if you are awarded a settlement. When is comes to trucking accidents, the trucking company is usually responsible for the settlement.
Federal and State Laws
- Motor Vehicle Drivers: If you have been in an accident, it will be important to check the laws in your state as they can vary. If you were found liable for a portion of the accident or were driving while distracted, the compensation you may be eligible for could be impacted. The type of insurance that you carry could also affect a potential award.
- Truck Drivers: When it comes to a trucker, regulations can be more complex. There are far more considerations that must be made when it comes to a truck driver’s liability.
- Whether or not the truck carries the appropriate driver’s license will be an important factor.
- Truckers are required to keep logs that detail the following:
- Rest Stops
- Maintenance or Repairs
Negotiating with a Company
Typically, you will share your insurance and may even access an attorney if you were in a motor vehicle accident with another driver. When a semi truck is involved in an accident, you may have to work with a larger entity. Luckily, hiring a truck accident lawyer Salt Lake City UT can rely on can alleviate stress by helping to navigate the complexities of the legal process and negotiating with the opposing side.
An attorney will be one of the primary aspects of the legal process, especially if you are unable to settle your lawsuit outside of the courtroom. A personal injury attorney will make the recovery of damages their top priority. Don’t hesitate to contact a reputable firm today.
Thanks to our friends and contributors from Rasmussen & Miner for their insight into trucking accidents.