You have taken the plunge and made the decision to pursue compensation for a personal injury you have obtained. As a result, you hire an attorney to represent you in your case. As you go along, you begin to question the competence of your attorney. With so much on the line, you are concerned that they will impact your ability to obtain an outcome in your favor. It’s likely you are wondering whether it makes sense for you to switch attorneys. Knowing what to look for in a personal injury attorney Bristol, TN counts on can help prevent problems down the road. However, if you find yourself questioning the capabilities of your attorney, knowing the signs of an incompetent attorney may be helpful.
Preventing Problems Before They Start
Putting in the time and effort into learning about the attorneys in your area before hiring one can help to mitigate any problems later down the road. The last thing you want is to end up with an attorney that doesn’t feel like a match or isn’t doing their job. Take the time to do the following to ensure that you are working with someone you can trust and rely on:
- Talk to people you know and ask them for recommendations. Referrals go a long way. Having insight from someone you know regarding the services of an attorney can be helpful in knowing what you would get if you were to hire them.
- Conduct online searches. There is a wealth of information on the Internet. You may be able to find online reviews of the attorney and information regarding their level of experience.
- Ask other attorneys for their recommendations.
- Take advantage of the free consultation that many attorneys offer. During this meeting you will be able to ask them questions regarding their experience, get their insight regarding your case and assess if their personality is one that aligns with yours.
- Make sure that during your first meeting you are clear about what your goal from the claim is. This will ensure that there is no confusion regarding your expectations later down the road.
Although the task of finding the right attorney can feel cumbersome, taking the time to do so is vital in the long run. Your attorney can make or break your personal injury claim.
Signs of a Poor Attorney
If you are questioning your attorney, you may be wondering if you have hired an incompetent attorney. The following are signs that you may want to look elsewhere for legal services:
- Your attorney seems confused and is unable to answer your questions.
- Your attorney is unresponsive to you
- You do not trust them
- You question whether they are doing their job
- Your attorney is not willing to meet with you to address the concerns you have.
- You are not getting the results you may be entitled to.
Sometimes people may not like their attorney. This doesn’t necessarily mean that the attorney is incompetent. Keep in mind that your attorney does not need to be your friend. Experience, knowledge and confidence can go a long way when it comes to case outcomes. However, if you are having trouble working with your attorney or questioning their ability to do their job, it may be time to seek legal services elsewhere.
The last thing you want is for an incompetent or inexperienced attorney to impact your ability to retain the compensation you are entitled to. If you are concerned that your attorney is not doing their job, it’s important that you take action before it’s too late. By continuing to retain their services, your case outcome could be impacted.
Thank you to our contributors at the law office of Mark T. Hurt for the above information.